“An ex-hit-man comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that killed his dog and took everything from him.”
Director: Chad Stahelski, David Leitch
Writer: Derek Kolstad
Staring: Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, Alfie Allen
Release Date: October 24, 2014
I love John Wick. I really, really do.
I’ve lost track how many times I have seen this movie, but even now there are things I am noticing for the first time. For example, the morning after the funeral, there are two coffee mugs next to the coffee maker, and in every shot with Wick in it, directors Stahelski and Leitch frame it for two people.
I am not sure how John Wick: Chapter 4 is going to build upon what this franchise is, but I am beyond excited. Much like Wick himself, this franchise doesn’t miss.
- Other small thing I noticed. After the final battle between Wick and Viggo Tarasov (Michael Nyqvist), there is the shot of Wick walking away from the dock. The body that is behind him is not that of Nyqvsit; it is just a body-double that may have been there for framing, but just something I noticed.
- I hope that a place like The Continental exists in real life. I’d love to just sit in the lobby and see all the happenings.
- The speech Viggo gives to his son Iosef (Alfie Allen) is one of my most re-watched movie scenes of all-time on YouTube.
- Reason I watched it again was because my girlfriend wanted to; she is a major fan of The Wire and I can’t wait for her to see what Lance Reddick does as Charon come John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019)
- For transparency sake, I watched this later Saturday night after last week’s diary. Just had to include it now.
Stanko Rating: B+ (4.0/5 Stars)